$$ Devtools console utils gotcha
I bumped into this today: When using
$ shortcuts in browser devtools,
there might be a little caveat.
I was iterating on a quick little script in the console, and was wondering
why on earth I was getting multiple results from
$(). The docs – at least
as I remembered them, say that it’s a shortcut for
that means it should only return one item.
So I looked a little closer:
I’m not sure if it’s the same in both, but I noticed this in the Firefox Web Console Helpers documentation:
Equivalent to document.querySelector() or calls the $ function in the page, if it exists.
Wait… zoom in…
calls the $ function in the page, if it exists
And sure enough, my good friend jQuery was right there on the page!
And that’s why I was getting odd results.
I switched it up to
element.querySelector and all was good!